What is a cookie??
A cookie is a safe small text file that is stored in your browser when you visit almost any website. The usefulness of the cookie is the website to be able to remember your visit next time you browse that page. Although many people do not know that cookie have been in use for 20 years, when the first browser for the World Wide Web.
What IT’S NOT a cookie?
It is not a virus, a Trojan or a worm, spam, neither spyware, do not opens pop-up windows.
What information stores a cookie?
The cookies not often store sensitive information about you, such as credit card or bank account information, photographs, your identity card or personal information, etc. The data stored are technical, personal preferences, personalized content, etc.
The web server does not associate you as a person, it uses your web browser instead. In fact, if you usually browse with Internet Explorer and try browsing the same web with Firefox or Chrome will see that the web does not realize that you are the same person because it really is partnering with the browser, not the person.
What kind of cookies are?
- Technicial Cookies: These are the most basic and allow, among other things, know when a human is navigating and not an automated application, when an anonymous user navigates and one registered, basic tasks for the operation of any dynamic web.
- Analysis Cookies: Collect information on the type of navigation is performing, most used sections, reference numbers, time slot of use, language, etc.
- Advertising Cookies: show advertising based on your browsing, your country of origin, language, etc.
What are own cookies and third-party cookies?
The own cookies are generated by the page you are visiting and the third-party cookies are generated by external providers such as Facebook, Twitter, Google, etc.
What happens if I disable the cookies?
To understand the consequence scope in the case of disabling the cookies these are some examples:
- You cannot share content from that page on Facebook, Twitter or any other social network.
- The web site will not adapt content to their personal preferences, as often happens in online shops.
- You cannot access the personal area of the web, such as My account or My Profil or My orders.
- Online shopping: It will be impossible to make purchases online, will be calling or visiting the physical store if you have one.
- It will not be possible to customize your geographic preferences as time zone, currency or language.
- The website will not perform web analytics on visitors and web traffic, making it difficult to be a competitive website.
- You may not blogging, you cannot upload photos, post comments, value or rate content. The web may not know whether you are a human or an automated application that publishes spam.
- Personalized advertising cannot be shown, reducing advertising revenue the web.
Can cookies being removed?
Yes. Not only remove, also block, general or particular to a specific domain.
To remove the cookies of a website, must go to the settings of your browser and there you can find the associated to the desired domain and proceed to the elimination.
Cookies settings for the most popular browsers
Here’s how to access a cookie in Chrome. Note: These steps may vary depending on the browser version:
- Go to Settings or Preferences using the File menu or by clicking the icon customization that appears on top right.
- You will see different sections, click on show advanced options.
- Go to Privacy, Content Settings.
- Select all cookies and site data.
- A list of all the cookies ordered by domain appears. To make it easier to find the cookies for a particular domain partially or fully enter the address in the Search cookies.
- After making this filter onscreen one or more lines with the cookies of the web request. Now just select it and press the X to proceed with their elimination.
To access the settings of cookies in Internet Explorer follow these steps (may vary depending on the version of the browser):
- Go to Tools, Internet Options
- Click Privacy.
- Move the slider to adjust the level of privacy you want.
To access the settings of cookies in Firefox follow these steps (may vary depending on the version of the browser):
- Go to Options or Preferences depending on your operating system.
- Click Privacy.
- On History choose Use custom settings for history.
- You will now see the Accept Cookies option, you can enable or disable your preference.
To access the settings of cookies in Safari for OSX follow these steps (may vary depending on the version of the browser):
- Go to Preferences, then Privacy.
- At this point you will see the option Block cookies to adjust the type of lock that you want.
To access the settings of cookies in Safari for iOS follow these steps (may vary depending on the version of the browser):
- Go to Settings , then Safari.
- Go to Privacy & Security, and the option Block cookies to adjust the type of desired block.
To access the settings of cookies in browser to Android devices follow these steps (may vary depending on the version of the browser):
- Run the browser and press the Menu key, then Settings.
- Go to Privacy and Security, you will see Accept Cookies to select or deselect the option..
To access the settings of cookies in browser to Windows Phone devices follow these steps (may vary depending on the version of the browser):
- Open Internet Explorer, then more, then Settings
- You can now toggle the Allow cookies box.